Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day 169, Wednesday, 6/25/08, Year Four Dancer & Daedee: Snow Falling on Eagles








Hello Eagle Friends,

It was a scorcher in the valley today with temperatures reaching 91 degrees while I was there, late in the day. It was sunny and humid and it seems our weather has gone from soaked fields and flooded rivers, marshes and streams to almost drought-like conditions.

I found no activity on nest 7.

I decided to cover all my other nests before going to nest 1. I'm glad I did too.
At nest 2 I found 80 day old Terry Gail with her wings fanned out, and panting from the direct sun on her. I get the distinct feeling she's going to stay camped where the food is, at least for a few more days.

I found more turtles sunning themselves in the road than on logs on the marshes, but then when a hundred white pelican arrive overnight, soaking up the last puddles of one pool, I think if I were a turtle I'd move to a new pond too.

I found at least 30 great snowy egrets feeding together in the ever-diminishing marshes. When one would snatch a fish, another egret would fly in next to it, perhaps hoping for his chance at easy meal.

The twins were up on the nest at nest 6. That was just after I passed some teenagers on the winding gravel road driving with one gal plastered across the windshield like a
dragonfly that was all eyes; holding on to the wiper blades so she didn't fall off.

It must have been some sort of initiation, or challenge for up the road I found several more kids involved.

At nest 5 the twins were both together on the northeast perch and I think are nearly ready to fly off, with the rights winds they probably will.

At nest 3, Victory Bell was on the northwest side of his nest looking out. I didn't see anything to document at nest 4.

The milkweed beetles were still together from yesterday, if it was even the same pair, or else it was a different pair on the same plant. I walked down to the edge of the marsh, still trying to figure out where I lost that little lens, but all I got was a soggy shoe from stepping onto a boggy spot.

I headed back to go to my main nest, nest 1 and pulled over to look for the Marsh 1a and 1b gosling's, but didn't find them. I found a medium-sized bull frog, but I only managed to get a shot before he jumped into the tall grasses and back towards the marsh.

A vehicle slowed and backed up.

It was Greg Munson and Jim Peterson from Rochester. They asked about the eaglets so I gave them an update and invited them to join me as I was heading to nest 1 now. I told them about the eagles bringing in the turtles this last week and I think they found that interesting.

Greg had a gotten into some poison ivy hiking so he was headed to town to wash it off. I would not have expected poison ivy but then neither did he.


I hiked out and I found D'ODEE on the north west side of the nest, and Daniels perched up on the west limb. I obviously had missed their feeding as neither bird cried out at every passing black bird in the sky, and both actually seemed to be more concerned with staying cool, than eating.

I was thinking how much I missed having Em out there with me, and how much fun we had at the book sale today at the library, and then our time in the park playing.


Both eaglets had their wings dropped and hanging to their sides and sat with their beaks open staring down at me.

I think it was the robin that came in that gave me a reason to worry. I had been hearing a rustling in the tall grasses, and I tried to convince myself that it was that darn doe, but she will usually snorted or huff. This animal made not one sound.

Usually if I stand up and hit the grasses, I'll flush it back further, or I'll get a huff out of the animal, but today it only came closer.

Then that robin came in and chattered like they do when they are threatened, and I started wondering if whatever it was behind the green grass curtain, if that was, perhaps, the animal that ate the robin babies a few weeks ago.

There are few times where I really feel my safety is threatened, but tonight as the sunset and darkness fell around me, I did have some concerns.

I moved back over to my main post, and wouldn't you know that animal followed me.
It sits about 20 feet back, and must have vision that can see right through those grasses, or it wouldn't stay back that far.

I had decided to call it a night. I'd gotten some great shots of the twins, and them practicing their flight, and I was suddenly doubting that my mace was going to hold off any critter.

I stood up just as the animal jumped into my clearing, and it jumped back out so fast I didn't even see what it was. All I know is it was under three feet tall because that is how high the grasses folded over.

I guess I'll have to bring Dale, my German shepherd back out for a field day with me.

It was a wonderful day.

I'm looking forward to day 170.

See you on the journey--

Lisa

No comments: